Updated: 3 December 2021
From 3 December Aotea Great Barrier Island’s borders are open to Aucklanders and from 15 December 2021 will be open to all NZ travellers that are double vaccinated OR return a negative COVID test within 72 hours of travel to the island.
The Auckland region, including Aotea Great Barrier Island, is operating under the Covid Protection Framework (Traffic Light System) from 3 December 2021
The island has not yet had any confirmed cases, and the local Emergency Response Team have worked hard to protect our vulnerable community. We have a high proportion of at risk residents and there are no hospital facilities on the island.
To ensure an enjoyable summer for all, we need your help to protect the health of everyone on the island and to keep our services, infrastructure and businesses running.
Please ensure you use the COVID-19 tracer app or ensure you sign in and keep a record of your movements and wear a mask when out and about.
Frequently Asked Questions
General guidelines and suggestions
- Recheck the guidance. Check government guidance immediately before you travel and read all of the advice from your travel and accommodation providers.
- Plan your journey. Plan each stage of your journey and stay on Great Barrier.
- Face coverings. Pack sufficient face coverings for the duration of your stay.
- Individual businesses will have their own coronavirus policy. Please look out for these policies and observe the rules in place for each island premises you enter.
- Hand sanitiser. Bring hand sanitiser with you so you always have access to it. Where there are hand sanitiser stations available, please use them.
- Medicine. Bring at least 10 extra days’ worth of any medication or medical supplies you rely on, in case you are required to self-isolate on the island.
- Have a plan for if you or anyone within your travel party develops symptoms and then tests positive for COVID-19
- Use the COVID-19 app to scan QR code posters wherever possible.
- Comply with the rules in place in each business you visit.
- Use contactless payment where possible.