Aotea/Great Barrier Island provides the perfect romantic getaway all year road. From snuggling up with a book and heading out on a dark sky adventure in the winter when the milkyway is it its finest, to dolphin watching from spring through to autumn. Aotea provides the perfect escape to reconnect with your loved one.
The adventure starts with getting here. For a long weekend stay we highly recommend flying into the island. You can take the latest flight after work on a Friday and return on a Monday. Don’t worry, there are plenty of scheduled flights and stars for a midweek break as well.
Once you’ve landed pick up a rebooked rental car from the airport, head over to your accommodation to get checked in and relax. Note that if you are flying in late and you want to eat in on your first nigh, check shop opening , otherwise prebook a table at once of the great places to eat on the island.
Activities perfect for couples…
- Half day sightseeing charter with Hooked on Barrier
- Twilight trek into Kaitoke hotsprings with Star Treks
- Private dark sky experience with Good Heavens
- Explore the island on a Motubike
- Gin Tasting with Island Gin
Short breathtaking walks and lookouts…
- Venture into Windy Canyon, continue onto the summit of Hirikamata
- Take a short jaunt up Station Rock for incredible views
- Head into the hotsprings early evening with a bottle of wine
- Explore secluded and magical Harataonga beach
- Discover the kauri falls along the Tramline track
Check out our accommodation section for more great options.
Great Barrier Island Lodge for waterfront dinner.
Currach Irish Pub for great craic, craft beer and music.
Pa Beach cafe also offer gourmet bbq and salad packs to cook up at your accommodation if you are looking or something a little different!