Built in 1901, Fitzroy House is the original homestead on the Glenfern property, overlooking Port Fitzroy and set in a private location among mature gardens and lawns.
- Sleeps 10, in five bedrooms.
- Access to walking tracks within Glenfern Sanctuary, an Auckland regional park.
- Private wharf just 50m from the house
- Ideal for a large family, two families or group of friends.
You have immediate access to the private wharf, down the path in front of the house, where kayaks are available for your use. The Port Fitzroy store is a brief 10-minute walk (or kayak) away; and a range of other walks are easily accessed from the property.
The homestead offers spacious living areas with bay windows and French doors opening to a large deck overlooking Fitzroy Harbour. An ideal holiday home sleeping up to 10 guests. For those with a boat, explore the harbour and coastline or head out on foot or by car. A mooring may be available on request. Fitzroy House is located within Glenfern Sanctuary; a fenced, pest managed area where you can experience some of New Zealand’s wildlife at its best. Guided or self-guided walks are available which include access to a Kauri tree via a swing bridge.
Experience New Zealand’s first Dark Sky Sanctuary, with excellent, easy access viewpoints providing 360° views of the night sky, or simply relax in style and view the stars from the decks and lawns.
Special conditions: No pets allowed as the house is in a pest managed sanctuary. Power is supplied by solar panels and storage-batteries, with a back-up generator. All water is sourced from a spring or stream. All tap water in the house is drinkable. Please boil if you are concerned, and conserve water.
Fitzroy house is immediately next to Glenfern Cottage, sleeping six. Rent the cottage and homestead for large family get-togethers, weddings or corporate functions.
NOTE: All income from Fitzroy House and Glenfern Cottage goes towards the management of Glenfern Sanctuary, helping to protect our precious and endangered native species. Glenfern Sanctuary is a registered charitable trust.BOOK NOW
- 5 bedrooms: 2 with queen bed, 2 twins, 1 bunkroom
- 24 hour power, solar with generator backup
- Water from spring and stream. All tap water is drinkable, do boil if concerned. Please conserve.
- 1 bathroom with separate toilet, 2 ensuites with toilets
- Across Port Fitzroy from the front deck
- 360° night sky views
- 30 km, 45 min. from Claris airport.
- Gas hob and oven, wood range, electric fridge/freezer.
- Online payment
- Set within pest managed Sanctuary
- Stroll to own wharf, for fishing or kayaking
- BBQ facilities provided
- Easy access to DOC tracks
- Bathroom: shower & claw foot bath
- All linen provided
- Woodheater and wood range